So, we are at 17 weeks. Kind of a weird number, but another number closer to 36, so we'll take it! I got my bloodwork results from last week. They were scanning me for gestational diabetes because with triplets the risk is much higher (as is my pleasantly plump figure). They test twice, once now and then again around 24 weeks (which is when most singleton pregnancies test). Good news! No diabetes here! Let's keep our fingers crossed that it stays that way. The only other thing is that they found that I am a little bit anemic (red blood cell levels are a little low). This, again, isn't too surprising for a triplet pregnancy. My blood volume has doubled to help the wee ladies grow big and strong and sometimes you run out of iron to help make the red blood cells. Anyway, I was started on Iron supplements so that should take care of the problem. Other than that, everything else is pretty much status quo. Waiting for the girls to get big enough so that we can feel them!
We have also motivated into "we need to get ready for these babies!" mode. Nathan has been working on the nursery with building shelves in the closet, taking the bed downstairs, getting ready to paint, etc., while I have been on the phone and computer finding out about day care, home nursing care, and how the heck we are going to be able to afford these three kids! Day care center vs nanny, full time vs part time work, how long can I take off, what if I am on bedrest in a month, what if the babies are in the NICU for 6 weeks, etc. It's all pretty overwhelming, but the more I get educated, the better I feel. I was excited to see that there is a Greater Portland Mother's of Multiples group (Thanks Ellen Reath!) right here and they meet monthly. I joined yesterday and can't wait to go to the first meeting!!
Ok, off to work. Here is the 17 week update and some photos for your enjoyment!!
How your baby's growing: Your baby's skeleton is changing from soft cartilage to bone, and the umbilical cord — her lifeline to the placenta — is growing stronger and thicker. Your baby weighs 5 ounces now (about as much as a turnip), and she's around 5 inches long from head to bottom. (FYI- our girls were 5 and 6 oz LAST week!) She can move her joints, and her sweat glands are starting to develop.

No comments:
Post a Comment