So, after my appointment yesterday (as seen on the previous post), I was home resting, collecting urine, getting ready for the potential of being admitted to the hospital on Thursday. Around 7p we had a nice dinner and then I retired to my lounger. 45 minutes later...my water broke! Out of all the possible scenarios that we thought we were prepared for, this one was not on our list. It was pretty hectic in our little house for about 10 minutes while we tried to get our ducksin a row. Ten minutes later, we
were at Maine Med in Labor and Delivery. They confirmed that my membranes were indeed ruptured and said that it was go time. The babies all looked great on ultrasound and I was stable. We had to wait until 1am, due to the fact that I had just had dinner and they wanted me to have an empty stomach.
At 1am, they came and took me to the OR. Twenty minutes later I was numb from the chest
down and Nathan was ushered in right as they were starting my incision. Only moments later they
started pulling babies out of my incision. Nathan was such a trooper and got some great shots. It was so nice that he could get up and check in on each baby as she was born and get pics and bring them over to me to see. They let him cut the cords, the second time around. They all were crying the second they entered the world and looked pink and perfect! I got a chance to kiss each one of them before they were taken off to the NICU. After I recovered, I was moved to my new room, but not before getting to visit the NICU to see all the girls in their new rooms. It was so surreal.
Stats...
Reese Carrington Savage (Baby A)... born 12/16/09 at 1:27a, 3 lb 13 oz, 17 3/4" long, Apgar scores of 9/9 (1min/5min)
- Reese is in the NICU, breathing room air, no oxygen needed. Sh
e is doing great and just needs time to grow and get strong enough to move to the Continuing Care ward.
Maizie Wright Savage (Baby B)... born 12/16/09 at 1:28a, 3 lb 14 oz, 17 3/4 " long, Apgar scores
were 6/8.
- Maizie is pretty much in the same boat as her sister Reese. Doing great. At last update, they
had placed a nasogastric tube and was being fed through that.
Charlotte Meade Savage (Baby C)... born 12/16/09 at 1:28a, 3 lb 14 oz, 17 1/4" long, Apgar scores were 8/9.
- Charlie is also doing great. Unlike her sisters, she had a little bit of labored breathing and an x-ray showed a small amount of fluid in her lungs. Not unusual for premies, especially since we didn't get a chance to give them the steroid injections before they arrived. She is on CPAP, which is simply a nasal air flow. She is on room air, but the air flow helps to keep her lungs inflated. They expect her to be off that in no time! The pictures of her look more dramatic because they wrap cloth around her head in order to help hold the tubes.
All in all, all three girls are excellent! I am doing great as well... recovering really fast. Already on my feet here and there. In fact, it's time for us to go visit the girls in the NICU, so I am going to
sign off. Love to you all!!!

Nellie and Nathan,
ReplyDeleteI am so proud for you and your girls. Wow, it's a miracle. God bless you.
Love,
Hen
You are incredible, Nellie and Nathan! love the names, the photos,and your amazing strength and patience through this rough pregnancy.
ReplyDeletemuch love to you all -- Ellen, Craig, Connor and Alison
Congratulations!!! Your girls seem to be doing extremely well and just like mine just seem to be having to stay for feed and grow. You've done a great job keeping them in for this long. Again, congratulations to all of you!
ReplyDeleteNellie- Wow, what a feat! You are an amazing person. It has been a lot of years since I've seen you and it was great to "see" you and your beautiful family. Kim Schrieber (softball schrieb)
ReplyDeleteCongratulations guys! So glad everyone is doing well.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! My mother works with Nathan's brother at Ft. Knox. She called me early this morning when she found out your girls arrived! I have 2 year olf BGB Triplets!
ReplyDelete