Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Looks like it's time to slow down...

Well, it appears that the girls are tired of working all day and are ready to move to 1/2 days a little earlier than planned. This was to be my last week of working full time. The plan was to work 1/2 days starting Monday. Well, yesterday was a LONG day at work. Lots of appointments and then an emergency came in that consumed my lunch break, when I usually get the chance to lie down for at least an hour. The lack of rest, and being a bad girl about drinking enough water, caused me to have some painless contractions last night. This has happened before and usually if I come home, lie down, and chug a bunch of water they stop and I'm fine. Well, last night they didn't really stop and they were coming 3-5 times an hour. It just feels like a tightening of my abdomen, but really no pain/discomfort involved. Anyway, after a few conversations with the on-call doc, we decided that I should go into the hospital and get checked out. It was about 10p.

Turns out all is well. They put me in bed and started an IV for fluids. I had a contractions monitor strapped onto my belly which showed I really was having pretty regular contractions, although most of them were pretty mild. My cervix was still nice and long and totally closed. They did some cultures, urinalysis and some blood work just to be sure that there was nothing, other than being overworked and under-hydrated. They kept me there for a few hours and once the contractions had slowed way down and they rechecked my cervix to be sure it hadn't changed, they sent me home around 2am. Needless to say, I'm home from work today. Need a day to rest per the docs.

I promise to take it easy!! That little experience was enough to scare me into submission. I don't want to go back there for many more weeks. I will say though, everybody was SO nice and friendly. A great staff over there at Maine Med. haha, except the poor med student who was very awkward and whom Nathan and I think should probably stick to research. :)

Nellie

No comments:

Post a Comment