Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Some non-baby sad news...

I am very saddened to report that we lost our dear cat Nugget a few nights ago. Nugget came into my life when he was only 5 weeks old. I had just started working at Angell Memorial in Boston as an ICU technician. Lindsay and I were living Cambridge. I remember looking up one day at work to see Lindsay (I think), holding this teenie weenie kitten in the window. He had a bum foot and always limped around on his right hind leg, as he was born with no toes on this leg. Everyone was afraid that he wouldn't get adopted, so what could I do? I had to take him. That was the day that Nugget entered my life.
I won't go on and on, but he joined me for some very significant events in my life. He moved with me to Grafton to start vet school, he moved to Brighton with me when Nathan and I moved in together, he snuggled with me when my dad died, he celebrated with me when I got married and then graduated vet school, he moved to a tiny apartment in Portland with us, then moved to South Portland with us into our first home. During all this time, he was a loving, loyal, healthy little gimpy guy that was truly the first pet that I had raised from kittenhood. He always had the yearning to go outside and we never really let in, as we were worried that something would happen to him. When we moved to South Portland, we decided that he would be allowed outside on weekends in the summer if he behaved. That turned into pretty much every day when it was warm outside, but he always came in and was not let out at night. He was SO happy outside. He couldn't get enough of it. He just loved to roll around in the grass, "play" with the chipmunks, drink from the bird bath, and soak in the sun. I truly believe he was happier in his two summers here in South Portland than he was in the rest of his life combined. I couldn't have taken that away from him.

In the end, it was his freedom that took his life. He accidentally got out after dinner and spent the night outside. This had only happened a few times before. I think his lack of street smarts at night and his limpy leg not making him as fast as some others allowed him to be taken by some nasty carnivore from the park behind our house. Luckily, our neighbors found him in the woods behind their house and we were able to bury him on our property. It was nice to have closure, as he had been missing for a few days and we didn't know what had happened to him. It has been a very sad time, as we didn't get chance to say goodbye. He was such an innocent little soul who did not deserve to go the way he did. We will love him forever and ever and it is too bad the girls won't get a chance to meet him.
We love you Nugget... aka Super Nooge

2 comments: